For many people, drinking coffee is the perfect way to start the morning. A single cup of coffee can energize the body for a few hours. Similarly, kratom can also energize the body, though the active components that provide this effect are not quite the same as the caffeine in coffee.
Combining these two stimulants seem logical and is in fact doable. Kratom powder dissolves most easily in hot water, and one of the most popular ways to take kratom powder is by making kratom tea. Naturally, kratom powder would also work well in hot coffee.
Are Kratom and Coffee Related?
Kratom and coffee complement each other because they come from the same botanical family, Rubiaceae. Rubiaceae is the fourth largest angiosperm family and consists of over 13,500 species. This includes the Mitragyna speciosa, the kratom tree, and coffea, the plant genus from which coffee beans are harvested. Although they both come from the same botanical family and have a long history of recreational use, these plants have some important differences.
By and large kratom farmers cultivate the leaves of the plant for harvest. Kratom leaves can be consumed in a variety of ways, from chewing the fresh leaf to drying them and crushing them into a powder, which can be brewed into a tea. Coffee is generally brewed from the beans of the plant, which are normally roasted after harvest to support different flavor profiles in the brew.
Both plants contain different alkaloids — naturally occurring components that cause stimulation, among other effects, in users. While it is common knowledge that caffeine is the main alkaloid in coffee, kratom houses a variety of alkaloids, the most predominant being mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine.
Effects of Mixing Kratom and Coffee
While you can derive energy from ingesting just one or the other, mixing kratom and coffee together may yield some unique benefits. Kratom can have a distinctly bitter flavor that some find unpleasant; combining kratom with coffee can help mask this flavor, potentially making for a more enjoyable drinking experience.
Kratom can have many effects, like providing an energy boost, while coffee can slowly release alkaloids to provide a steady stream of energy. However, due to the presence of its distinctive alkaloids, kratom has also been reported to reduce uneasy feelings and support a relaxed mentality, while high doses of caffeine tend to only have an increased stimulant effect.
People who are taking both substances should start with small doses of each and increase the dosage little by little to understand how their body reacts.
Negative Effects of Combining Kratom and Coffee
Although kratom is a natural substance, it’s important to note that many botanicals can have negative effects. A survey conducted by the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine asked 2,798 kratom users to describe their usage habits and experiences. Of those users, around one-third reported experiencing negative side effects, including:
- Upset stomach
Researchers describe kratom’s side effects as mild, with only 1.9% of respondents reporting more severe side effects, like:
While kratom use has been safe for many users, research into side effects and possible risks is ongoing. People who are taking kratom should always consult with their healthcare provider to avoid any of these negative side effects, especially those with pre-existing health conditions.
How to Mix Kratom and Coffee
When attempting to mix coffee and kratom together, there are a couple of notes to keep in mind:
- Anyone mixing kratom into their coffee should take into account its bitter flavor. Ensure that both the coffee and the kratom are fresh and of high quality.
- Users looking to get the most out of kratom, should heat water to a temperature between 195 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit. Boiling temperatures can scald the coffee and may denature the alkaloids present in both.
There are a few ways to mix coffee and kratom to make the ideal drink:
- Mix kratom powder into a brewed cup of coffee
- Mix kratom tea and coffee
- Combine kratom powder with coffee grounds and brew coffee regularly
- Drink coffee right after drinking kratom
Which Kratom Strains Are Most Effective With Coffee?
The most complimentary kratom strains to mix with coffee are the “fast” and “moderate” strains. Many times these strains will be green and white veins, such as the ones listed below. White vein kratom is often compared to coffee for its energizing effects, however, each strain has its own unique characteristics:
- White-Borneo: Users often choose this strain during the daytime to help with alertness and increased focus. White Borneo is often compared to coffee, and works to enhance the effects of caffeine.
- White-Kali: This strain is the mildest out of the Kali strains. White Kali is believed to offer an energizing effect as well as relief from physical discomfort.
- White-Thai: This strain is the most stimulating of all the white veins, exhibiting fewer discomfort-relieving qualities compared to other strains.
- White-Indo: Users like this strain for providing relief from physical discomfort, however, it can also provide a mild boost.
Green vein kratom combines relief from physical discomfort and energy. There are three different strains of green vein kratom, including:
- Green-Indo: This strain balances discomfort-relief and energy-boosting qualities. The effects of this strain can last longer even though there is not a high concentration of alkaloids.
- Green-Malay: Users prefer this strain for its mood-lifting and energizing effects.
- Green-Kali: This strain can stimulate while providing relief from physical discomfort. It can have a higher potency than Green Indo.
You can use red vein kratom in your coffee, allowing its relaxing effects to counterbalance the stimulating and jittery effect of caffeine. Additionally, always buy kratom from trusted vendors to ensure you are getting premium and safe kratom.
It’s important to understand the dosage when implementing kratom into your daily routine, and most users agree that keeping your dosage low is the way to go. Taken in large doses, kratom can become less energizing, and more effective for supporting relaxation. If you are looking for an energizing boost, start with small doses and work your way up.
Dosage also depends on how you take kratom. The most common forms of kratom are capsules and powders. Studies have shown that people who take five grams of kratom powder three times a day experience sufficient effects, but you can take less and still benefit, depending on your desired effect. Taking over 15 grams of kratom can increase the risk of serious side effects.
For those looking to enhance the effects of kratom, they might not have to look further than coffee. Mixing kratom and coffee can increase energy for longer periods of time as well as create a satisfying morning drink. If you decide to take kratom, remember to start with small doses and to contact your doctor if you are experiencing any negative side effects.