Maeng Da is a form of kratom, an herbal substance found primarily in Southeast Asia. Out of the many strains of kratom, Maeng Da Kratom is considered the strongest variety. In Thai slang, “maeng da” literally means “pimp” or “pimp grade” and generally refers to strains of kratom cultivated for maximum potency. Though the term originated in Thailand, Maeng Da kratom can be sourced from any of the growing regions.
Maeng Da kratom is developed through crossbreeding a sapling tree to the root base of another, more mature tree. This method helps create a plant with more potent leaves, with a higher amount of mitragynine, 7-hydroxymitragynine, and mitraphylline, which are all active compounds that occur naturally in kratom leaves. Mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine may have an effect on pain receptors in the brain, though more research is needed to understand the exact nature of this effect.
Maeng Da kratom is typically harvested from kratom trees with red-veined leaves, however, green and white-veined leaves are known to have been used as well. Red-veined kratom strains are the most popular source, as they grow more consistently than green or white-veined trees.
Maeng Da Kratom Effects
Kratom has many effects that can vary from user to user. These effects are also known as kratom “speeds” and are indicative of the different attributes a person can experience. Kratom has been used for many years by those indigenous to the areas where kratom naturally grows, and its use has been associated with many effects, including:
Since Maeng Da was created by grafting different plants together, its effects are generally more intense or potent. This type of kratom is often associated with a more relaxing spectrum of effects, however, it also has an energy-boosting effect. This particular strain was created so people could enjoy kratom without the sedative effects.
The effects of Maeng Da can show in as little as five minutes and can last up to two hours. Maeng Da is often consumed by people who wish to work harder and faster. In Thailand, where it was created, workers took this strain during work hours in order to enjoy the effects of kratom without the sedative effects. Maeng Da has been known to allow users to work for longer periods of time and avoid fatigue. The strain has also been known to elevate positive thoughts in people, making it a relief for people who experience feelings of unease.
Negative Side Effects of Maeng Da Kratom
While Maeng Da Kratom is a naturally-grown substance, it’s important to note that many supplements can have negative effects. However, kratom is not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). While this doesn’t necessarily mean kratom is dangerous, it does mean that people who ingest this substance should be aware of the potential side effects of kratom. The negative side effects of Maeng Da include:
- Lack of mental clarity
- Stomach discomfort
- Dry mouth
- High blood pressure
- Kidney problems
- Liver problems
People who are taking kratom should always consult with their healthcare provider to avoid any of these negative side effects, especially those with pre-existing health conditions.
Maeng Da Strains
There are many strains of Maeng Da kratom. Each strain is named after the region it was produced in along with the vein color that was used. No matter the name, each strain has its own unique attributes, so it’s important to research which strain is right for you.
- Indonesian Maeng Da: This type is said to act more quickly than others and can boost people’s moods. It also has a unique taste.
- Malaysian Maeng Da: This type of Maeng Da is known to have a few side effects, however, it has a slow and steady effect so most users don’t notice them. It typically has a sour taste and is used for calming muscles.
- Thailand Maeng Da: Originating from Thailand, this species is very rare, and therefore is very costly. However, Thai leaves have proven to be the best and most in-demand.
- White Maeng Da Kratom: This type of Maeng Da can increase concentration and socialization. It is known as an alternative to prescription drugs and can help alleviate physical discomfort.
- Red Maeng Da Kratom: This is the most common type of Maeng Da. It can be used as a way to relieve physical discomfort and for motivation. It’s said to be the most powerful type of Maeng Da kratom.
- Green Maeng Da Kratom: Made from leaves that have green veins, Green Maeng Da is not as fast-acting as other types. However, this type can stimulate energy and make a person more talkative.
Maeng Da Kratom Dosage
Typically, kratom leaves are harvested and dried with the veins removed and ground into a powder. However, Maeng Da takes a longer time to dry, which helps with potency. It is important to note that because Maeng Da is considered much stronger than other types of kratom, it can be consumed in smaller amounts for an equally effective outcome. The dosage can vary based on the type and form of kratom you have. For instance:
- Red Maeng Da: You can take two to four grams to ease physical discomfort.
- Green Maeng Da: You can take up to six to eight grams, but do not exceed 10 grams.
- White Maeng Da: You can take around five grams at a time.
Low doses are typically suggested for first-time kratom users. Taking the correct amount of kratom is determined by your weight and gender. If you are a male, the average doses are as follows:
- Below 150 pounds: 0.75-1.5 grams
- 150-210 pounds: 1.5-2.25 grams
- Above 210 pounds: 2.25-3 grams
For females, the correct average doses are:
- Below 150 pounds: 0.25-0.50 grams
- 150-210 pounds: 0.50-0.75 grams
- Above 210 pounds: 0.75-1.00 grams
Since it is not FDA regulated, it’s important to comply with the recommended dosage. Long-term use of kratom can parallel caffeine withdrawal symptoms when they try to quit kratom, and in very rare cases, people can overdose on kratom. However, studies have shown that kratom has low abuse potential compared to other addictive drugs.
Considerations Before Taking Maeng Da Kratom
Kratom, in any form, is not FDA approved. It is considered a dietary supplement and therefore is not regulated. Consider the following before taking kratom:
If you decide to take Maeng Da kratom, remember to consume the correct dose and take all scenarios into consideration before doing so. Taking the time to learn about the positive and negative side effects of kratom can help you make more informed decisions. If you decide to take kratom, remember to start with small doses and to contact your doctor if you are experiencing any negative side effects.